Sodium bicarbonate or also known as baking soda is mostly used in the culinary and in cosmetics but it is also very popular as an effective cleaning agent. Here are some interesting facts about the soda and its use for cleaning:
- The reason why soda really helps for cleaning a sink or a fridge is that it is a mild alkali which means that it can react with acids without causing damaging reactions.
- Soda perfectly combines with vinegar for cleaning glass, plastic, steel and other surfaces. The fact that it’s natural ingredient and non-toxic makes it appropriate for cleaning items related to food.
- Baking soda neutralizes odors chemically, that’s why it’s also good for deodorizing.
- The crystalline structure of baking soda when it is used as a paste provides a gentle abrasion that helps to remove dirt without scratching sensitive surfaces.
- Soda is eco-friendly and safe to use in your home.
- You can clean the dishwasher and the coffeemaker by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
- Baking soda is also good for avoiding clogged drains. Pour 1/4 cup baking soda down weekly and rinse through with hot water.
- Because of the deodorizing properties of baking soda, it can be used against the unpleasant cigarettes’ smoke. If there is a smoker in the house, put baking soda in the bottom of each ashtray to keep away the smoke smell.
Soda is really a multi-purpose and cheap cleaning agent. Above we have listed only a few ideas of how you can use it in your household.